PhD in Health Sciences By Publication
The PhD in Health Sciences (by Publication) is a research degree intended for mid-career academics who have contributed a sizable amount of new
knowledge in their respective fields in the health sciences. These academics, while pursuing various careers, have continued to pursue research vigorously and are recognized in the research area they have specialized in. They have published in both international and local indexed scientific literature.
Currently, UP Manila offers mostly professional degrees in health, such as medicine, pharmacy, allied medical professions, dentistry, nursing and public health producing health professionals, doctors, pharmacists, physical therapists, dentists, nurses, etc. While our health professionals and those from other universities who stayed in the academe practice their areas of specialization, some continue to actively engage in research. In this era when research recognized by the scientific community is considered the mark of excellence, the PhD by publication provides another path towards
scholastic advancement for health scientists.
PROGRAMME ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
GENERAL NGOHS ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR PHD PROGRAMME:
- Duly accomplished Application Form
- Certified true copy of Diplomas (Masters and/or MD) with the seal of the university and the signature of the registrar in ink; and Certificate of Residency Training and/or Fellowship (for MDs) with the signature of the Hospital Director or Program Director
- Four (4) passport-size photos;
- Two (2) completed recommendation forms (UPM-NGOHS Form A3) from referees such as former professors, supervisors or colleagues sent directly to the NGOHS by the referees.
- Official receipt of the application/processing fee paid at the UP Manila Cash Division;
Additional requirements for foreign applicants:
- Certified true copy of the English translation of the diploma, with the seal of the university and the signature of the Registrar in ink;
- Certified true copy of the English translation of the residency or fellowship training certificate, with the signature of the Hospital Director or Program Director
- Valid TOEFL certificate with a minimum score of 550 (paper-based); 173 (computer-based); 70 (internet- based) or other Certification of English proficiency equivalent to the TOEFL requirement (e.g. IELTS band 6); a certificate that English is the medium of instruction in the university where the student has graduated from is sufficient to waive this requirement;
- Affidavit of support or certificate of financial capability;
- Photocopy of passport (original to be presented for verification); and
- Alien certificate of residence for resident aliens.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR PHD IN HEALTH
SCIENCES (BY PUBLICATION):
- Application letter, addressed to the Director of the NGOHS,
indicating the intent to enroll to the PhD in Health Sciences (By
Publication) and the research area of specialization and interest. (Note : The research area of specialization should be within the scope and related to the clinical area of specialization of the applicant’s residency or fellowship training (for MDs) or master’s degree (for non-MDs).
- Completed Research Productivity and Scientific Recognition
Assessment form (Appendix 1)
- Proof of research experience beyond the Master’s or equivalent
degree, and consistent research productivity, within a pre-specified research area or clinical area of specialization, manifested by a minimum score of 55 points in the Research Productivity section of the Assessment form. Reprints or copies of the applicant’s publications and other works cited in the form. should be submitted together with the completed application form.
- Evidence of high level of recognition by the scientific community
as a leader in the pre-specified research area or clinical area of
specialization, manifested by a minimum score of 20 points in
the Scientific Recognition section of the Assessment form.
Documentary proof of reported accomplishments cited in the
form should be submitted together with the completed
- An outline of the dissertation that will integrate at least 4
interrelated research works of the applicant. This dissertation
outline should demonstrate new knowledge in the specified area
of specialization of the applicant, incorporating at least 4
interrelated scientific papers (original research, systematic
reviews, policy papers, case reports) published in a peer-reviewed,
Scopus-indexed journal in the recent 10 years, where
the student is the first/principal or senior author.
- Copies of the scientific publications that will be integrated for
- A health and dental clearance from the University Health
Service shall be obtained prior to enrollment or after receiving
official notification of acceptance from the NGOHS.
EACH COURSE WILL BUILD ON THE PREVIOUS ONE CULMINATING IN
PUBLICATIONS OF THE RESEARCH AND THE FINAL DEFENSE AS
PROOF OF THE STUDENT’S RESEARCH AND SCHOLARSHIP. A
STUDENT CANNOT PROGRESS TO THE PROGRAM UNLESS HE/SHE
PASSES THE REQUIREMENTS FOR EACH COURSE AS FOLLOWS:
Course Number: HSP 400.1
Course Title: Dissertation Proposal and Implementation
Course Description: Dissertation Proposal and Integration of scientific papers
- Submission of the final dissertation proposal to integrate at least 4 interrelated
- scientific papers, published in a peer-reviewed, Scopus-indexed journal in the recent 10 years, where the student is the first author
- Successful public defense of the proposal
- Submission of the draft dissertation that is assessed as ready for defense by the Dissertation Supervisor
- Certification by an external expert that the dissertation is a coherent and original
- body of research in a pre-specified health-related area of specialization
Course Number: HSP 400.2
Course Title: Dissertation Defense and Dissemination
Course Description: Defense of the dissertation (integrative) paper and publication
- Successful defense of the dissertation
- Note: The Dissertation defense procedure is detailed in the implementing rules and regulation of the programme.
- Submission of the final dissertation
- Publication or acceptance for publication of the dissertation, or an integral part of it, in a peer-reviewed, ISI or Scopus-indexed journal.